Tuesday, October 1, 2013

End of First Transfer 9/23

Wait, what?!  It's already the end of my first transfer!  That has got to be the quickest 6 weeks of my life.  And I'm only told it gets faster from here.  Pretty soon, I will have been out here 6 months, then a year, and before you know it I'll be coming home.  It will be kicking and screaming, I'm sure of it.  Gah!  I don't even want to think about it!

The work is hastening!!  You hear that so many times as a missionary and boy is it true.  We are finding more and more people to teach each week.  Glennis is doing wonderful.  She is almost done with 2 Nephi.  She is just chugging along in the Book of Mormon and absolutely loving it.  She especially loved the Isaiah chapters in 2 Nephi.  Maybe I can get her to explain those to me.  We're also teaching a couple from Iran.  They know pretty much nothing about Christianity except that Jesus was a good guy.  And I thought teaching the Plan of Salvation to someone with a Christian background was hard!  But they are really great, and truly want to understand.  And let me tell ya, hearing stories about their lives in Iran really makes me grateful I was born here in the States.  We don't have to worry about being thrown in jail for attending a different church one week.  One of their questions for us was what was going to happen if they went to one church one week and another church the following Sunday.  You don't do that where they are from.  They've been living here for 9 months and they've never attended church because they were afraid of what would happen.  We assured them they could go to any church they wanted and that hopefully they would be welcomed in all of them.

No exciting adventures to talk about this week.  Well, I think missionary work itself is an exciting adventure.  But I mean I haven't done anything too exciting on p-day in a while.  Glennis wants to take us on the Old River Road up to Grafton when the leaves start changing.  I love fall!  It's going to be so awesome here!

Another fun story:  we went and visited a member in the ward, Brother and Sister Cookson, to drop off a copy of Preach My Gospel.  We got talking to them about missionary work and Brother Cookson started telling us stories from his mission.  He served on Navajo and Hoppi Indian Reservations.  When they first showed up the Elders of the tribe were astonished with the information they were telling them because that's information that only tribal elders are supposed to have and here are two young boys that have all this wealth of information.  So because of that they were welcomed into the tribe and they told them their personal stories and such.  So the Hoppi Indians, what they tell visitors about their "creation myths" or how they got where they are is that they came up from ant holes or something like that.  Or they say they came from the Grand Canyon, I don't know.  But apparently their real story is more like the story of the Jaredites and coming over water in a boat that is "tight like unto a dish."  How crazy is that?!!!  Bro Cookson also said that some of their ceremonies are similar to endowment ceremonies in the Temple.  Once again, how crazy is that!?!

It has definitely been fun.  Until next Monday!!

-Sister Trop



This is my first district out in the Mission field.  From left to right:  Elders Fisher, Voorhis, Bessendorfer, me, Sis Felt, Elders Pack, Eidam, and Christiansen.

No comments:

Post a Comment